BREAKING: the Senate Inquiry into Media Diversity has officially recommended that parliament call a Judicial Inquiry with the powers of a Royal Commission. This is a massive step in our campaign, so we need to push even harder.
The Murdoch Royal Commission Fighting Fund will supercharge this campaign into 2022 and make sure the Senate’s recommendation cannot be swept under the parliamentary rug.
Let’s put Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch and Australia’s News Corporation executives on notice by showing just how much we can fundraise to take them on.
Please chip in to the Murdoch Royal Commission Fighting Fund:
The only limit on how big our campaign can grow is how much we can fundraise.
Australians for a Murdoch Royal Commission launched just six weeks ago. Thanks to the supporters who chipped in at our launch and who give monthly contributions, AFMRC has already been able to:
- Mobilise more than 1000 people to email Senators on the Media Diversity Inquiry to encourage them to recommend a Royal Commission to parliament,
- Provide the Senate Inquiry with a detailed submission on how Murdoch’s media monopoly harms our democracy, our communities and enables News Corporation’s flaunting of media codes (which you can read here)
- Organise a series of strategic phone call actions to ensure political power-brokers were hearing from AFMRC members when deliberating their position on a Royal Commission,
- Built Report The News, an online tool to streamline community complaints of media code breaches to the media watchdogs, with more than 150 people submitting complaints so far,
- Collected dozens of personal stories of harm caused to ordinary Australians by News Corporation publishing or broadcasting disinformation, vilification or targeted bullying, to help build a case for a Royal Commission,
- Connected with civil society groups, peak bodies, other activist groups and former News Corp journalists to begin to build a powerful, coordinated sector,
- Grown our email list to 44k people eager to support the campaign and ready to take action,
- Amassed 25k followers across social media who spread the word of the campaign to their friends and family,
- Begin a recruitment process for a second staff member to work full time on the campaign (dependent on our December fundraising).
AFMRC has managed to do all of this within 6 weeks, with just one staff member and the small amount of funds raised from the launch.
Imagine what we could do together with a massive fighting fund to supercharge our campaign into 2022.
Please chip in what you can, or if you’re not in a position to please share this page’s link on social media to spread the word!
To wrangle our news media, our democracy and our future from the ideological grip of Rupert Murdoch, his son Lachlan and their powerful inner circle, it’s going to take all of us working together.